No record of Filipinos with COVID-19 in Morocco
PARAÑAQUE CITY, June 3 (PIA) — The Philippine Consulate General in Rabat, the capital city of Morocco, on Tuesday reported zero case of Filipinos positive with novelcorona virus (COVID-19).
During the Laging Handa Public Briefing, Charge d’affaires Maria Agnes Cervantes said overseas Filipinos followed health protocols and procedures imposed by the Moroccan government, which resulted to no record of Filipinos afflicted with COVID-19 as of June 2.
The Kingdom of Morocco immediately declared the state of health emergency and enforced lockdowns once record of COVID-19 case was known in the country, Cervantes emphasized.
“Nag lockdown sila, so people will constrain to stay in their homes. Kung lalabas, dapat isa lang sa miyembro ng pamilya,” Cervantes said.
“Hindi makalabas ang tao kung wala silang pass. So these helped people na hindi sila ma-infect,” she added.
The diplomat cited that these measures enforced by the government of Morocco is the reason why there are only 7833 cases of COVID-19 in the Kingdom, so far.
Cervantes said Filipinos are employed in all industries spanning highly skilled, semi-skilled, as well as domestic service worker.
To recall, the Philippine Consulate was established late December of 2019, due to the newness of the office, about 1,000 overseas Filipinos have been mapped, but Cervantes estimated that the number will reach 4,500 once finished.
According to Cervantes, the Filipino community in Morocco is heavily active and the consulate utilizes modern messaging applications in coordinating with the community. (PIA-NCR)