Korea donates rice for TY Quiel victims in CagVal
TUGUEGARAO CITY, Cagayan, June 25 (PIA) – – The Republic of Korea has donated 350 metric tons of rice for the victims of typhoon Quiel which hit the mainland Cagayan Valley in November last year.
Emerson Ravilas, provincial manager of the National Food Authority- Cagayan, said a total of 8, 750 households regionwide were benefitted of the rice donation.
“Each of the identified affected families received one bag of 40 kilograms of the Korean rice,” Ravilas said.
He said Cagayan received 4,900 bags of the donated rice, Isabela was given 3,750 bags, Nueva Vizcaya – 1,500 bags, and Quirino – 600 bags.
He said the rice donations arrived early in March at the port of Manila but the delivery in the region was delayed due to the Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
On his part, NFA Regional Manager Genaro S. Nunez, Jr. said the donation was part of the ASEAN Plus Three Emergency Rice Reserve program.
“The government requested ASEAN for the rice donation to be distributed to households in the region which were hardest hit by storm Quiel that devastated the region in November 2019,” Nunez said.
For the beneficiaries of this city, Mayor Jefferson Soriano received the donations in a simple turn-over ceremony, witnessed by some officials from NFA and from the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
In Lal-lo town this province, Mayor Oliver Pascual distributed 100 bags as share of his constituents who were identified severly affected during the typhoon. (MDCT/OTB/PIA 2-Cagayan)