Duterte extends GCQ in Metro Manila until June 30
CALOOCAN CITY, June 16 (PIA) — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on late Monday announced the extension of the general community quarantine (GCQ) in Metro Manila until the end of the month.
During a televised public broadcast powered by the Presidential Communications and affiliate state media, the President, however, said his decision, which was based on the recommendation by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), can still change pending consultations with the business sector.
“Yun lang muna ano natin but later on, as we ramble on, maybe tomorrow or the day after, after I shall have talked with the businessmen, then we can decide whether or not we can still modify the modified lockdown that we have imposed,” he said.
Duterte addressed several issues and concerns including the opening of classes in August, and the implementation of distance and online blended learning strategies as an alternative to face-to-face learning until such time that a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available.
He also reminded every Filipino to stay vigilant against the spread of COVID-19.
The President called on everyone for continued cooperation in observing the minimum health standards through proper social distancing, frequent hand washing, proper cough etiquette, clean and safe surroundings, and respect for authorities.
To recall, Metro Manila was placed under GCQ starting June 1, which allowed more businesses to reopen and employees to return to work. Public transportation was also allowed to operate but on a limited capacity.
As of June 15, the COVID-19 cases in Philippines tallied 26,420 so far. The death toll has reached 1,098, while recoveries stand at 6,252. (PIA NCR)